We are developing a new strategy which will outline how we will improve and maintain our homes. We asked our customers what they would expect from us when replacing major components such as kitchens and bathrooms and also improvements around making our homes more energy efficient. 200 tenants took part in the survey from across Jigsaw Group.
What we learned from the results (findings):
- Almost all who responded feel it is the landlords responsibility to replace major components such as kitchens and bathrooms
- A third said they would expect us to replace major components every 10-15 years, whilst another third feel this should be less and every 5-10 years.
- 8 out of 10 people would expect to have a choice of colour and style when we replace major components
- The majority of people who responded would expect us to publish a planned work programme and feel this should be published annually
- Half of our tenants said they would expect us to put restrictions in place for tenants breaching their tenancy agreement. Although, they would not expect this if the breach is due to rent related matters, but would be more comfortable for those tenants causing anti-social behaviour
- 8 out of 10 people would expect their landlord to have responsibility for ensuring their home is energy efficient, with the majority of tenants expecting us to provide insulation, energy efficient boilers and double glazing. There was a strong interest in landlords providing more advanced technology such as solar and wind power, however there was a general acceptance that this is often government funded and more unrealistic
- Tenants would like their landlord to inspect the property more regularly to assess the property for maintenance and improvements.
What we will do with the results (outcomes):
- The results have contributed to our Group Asset Management Strategy
- We will publish a programme of planned works annually
- We will offer our tenants a choice of style and colour when replacing major components such as kitchens and bathrooms
- We will be introducing an annual visit to every property (a different arrangement will be undertaken for our supported and sheltered housing schemes) with some being linked to the current gas serving inspection, to enable us to assess the condition of the major elements within tenants homes to determine whether they need replaced
- We will focus our investment in the homes which are the least energy efficient to help our tenants reduce their energy running costs.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the survey. If you would like to take part in surveys like this, join Jigsaw Rewards today!