Winter is here so, we wanted to help make sure that you stay safe and warm over the coming months. We have pulled together some useful tips about how you can prepare for adverse weather conditions and stay safe throughout any cold snap or more extended periods of severe weather.
There is more information on our dedicated website page, including links with helpful advice and contact details for other organisations that can help keep you warm and well this Winter. To view this information, simply click here >>.
Here are some top tip to help you stay safe and warm this winter.
- Contact your energy supplier to see if you are eligible for the Warm Home Discount Scheme.
- Check your eligibility for a Winter Fuel Payment. If you were born on or before 5 April 1955, you could receive between £100 and £300 to help you pay towards your heating bills. Call 0800 731 0160 or textphone 0800 731 0176.
- Keep an eye on the weather forecast and if bad weather is on its way, stock up on essential medication and non-perishable food.
- Take extra care if the ground is slippery. Wear shoes with good grip and consider keeping salt and sand mixture handy to grit your home’s path or driveway.
- Have a torch and make sure you check the batteries.
- Keep emergency numbers handy. Having your energy supplier’s number to hand can be really helpful if a power cut occurs. You can register with your supplier so they call you in the event of a power cut.
- For electric failures and heating breakdowns, call us on 0300 111 1133 for Jigsaw Homes North residents or 0300 011 1144 if you are a Jigsaw Homes Tameside/Jigsaw Homes Midlands resident.
- For help with fixing frozen condensate pipes, please view the information on our website under useful links>>.
- To keep your home free from condensation and mould, please view the information on our website under useful links>>.